The Winfield Fire Department began as a volunteer department. The volunteers were divided into three (3) companies: 1) Eaton Hose Company, 2) Skinner Hose Company, and 3) Robinson Hose Company. Chief S. E. Compton moved his department into the new City of Winfield building in 1886, sharing it with all the other city departments. Somewhere around 1903 Winfield Fire became a full paid fire department working 24-hour shifts. The station remained at 817 Fuller, as it has for over 120 years.